Hi everyone! Hope you’re all getting excited for our Spring Nutrition Challenge to begin this coming Monday! It’s going to be fabulous, especially since summer is right around the corner… Here’s everything you need to know: // Get Support:
- Join our CFPR Spring Nutrition Challenge group on Facebook (this is different than our Community group): https://www.facebook.com/groups/407175499446984/. We can share recipe ideas, struggles, questions, etc. here without spamming everyone else not participating. This is where most of our communication will happen during the Challenge.
// How the SNC will work:
- Sign-up: email CFPR30day@gmail.com or sign-up at the gym (must sign-up by 4/19/15)
- Pay: $25.00 (cash) to be put into a kitty (must pay by 4/19/15)
- The kitty will be divided in 2 for one FEMALE winner and one MALE winner
- Eat: Paleo (Whole30)/Zone (see details below)
- Take Photos: 3 ‘Before’ pictures taken: front view, side view and back view. Men are in shorts and Women are in shorts and sports bra (or 2-piece swimsuit)
- Track Compliance: Mark nutrition compliance on your spreadsheet daily/weekly (see details below)
- Anyone can enter the Challenge, but to be eligible for the prize you must submit your nutrition compliance sheet
- Results: 3 ‘After’ pictures are taken & emailed (with ‘before’ pictures to CFPR30day@gmail.com) at end of Challenge
- CFPR trainers pick the top 5 men and top 5 women whose body composition changed the most
- Challenge participants (only) vote on the top 10 to determine the Winners (photos will be viewed on paper at the gym, no digital copies sent out)
- Prizes: The 2 winners each win half of the kitty (Winners must agree to allow use of photos as promotional materials for future nutrition challenges)
// Track 1 — “Paleo”:
- If you plan to do what we’ll call the “Paleo” track, you will be following the guideline of the Whole30, which can be found here: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/. The focus is on making QUALITY food choices as outlined in the Whole30.
- This is a good option for folks new to Paleo eating and those looking to identify food sensitivities.
- WHOLE30 Shopping List: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf
- “Beginner’s Guide to the Paleo Diet”: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/
- “The Paleo Diet”: http://thepaleodiet.com/
- Food/Recipe Ideas:
- Snack ideas: http://www.multiplydelicious.com/thefood/2012/01/paleo-snack-ideas/
- simple Google search will give you more ideas than you can handle!
// Track 2 — “Zone”:
- If you plan to do what we’ll call the “Zone” track, you will follow the food list for the “Paleo” track but will also be focusing on food QUANTITY and meal composition.
- This is a good option for folks who want to take “Paleo” to the next level and optimize the amounts, types, and composition of foods eaten at each meal. Ideal if you’re looking to lose body fat, improve athletic performance, and/or reduce inflammation.
- An easy way to get started with the Zone is to follow the “plate template” shown here (and in your info packets): http://www.zonediet.com/the-zone-diet/
- Note: please ignore the part about only eating low-fat proteins and allowing tofu/soy products.
- You can also find your exact Zone blocks here based on your lean body mass and your activity level: http://www.zonediet.com/resources/body-fat-calculator/?nlsignup=1
- The Zone Diet explained: http://crossfitimpulse.com/the-zone-diet-explained-edited/
- Food blocks guide and some sample meals: http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/cfjissue21_May04.pdf
- Note: you will have to sub for items that don’t fall on the Paleo foods list (i.e., bread, pasta, rice…)
- Again, a simple Google search will give you tons of info for recipes, meal ideas, etc
// FAQ: Are white potatoes allowed during the challenge? Yes. Is coffee allowed? Yes. Is protein powder or pre-workout mix (i.e. Advocare Spark) allowed? No, sorry Other questions along the lines of: Am I allowed to have _______ (fill in the blank)? Please check the Whole30 Q & A here before emailing us about specifics: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/ What happens if I only follow the plan (Paleo/Zone) 80% of the time, especially since the nutrition compliance doesn’t really “count” for this Challenge? You will get 80% of the results. We are not your mom and are not going to force you to follow the plan 100%, but know that this will slow your results.